Labor and delivery services in Dulles, Virginia
If you are an expectant mother in Loudoun County, you can feel confident that you can receive exceptional maternity and labor and delivery care at StoneSprings Hospital. We provide maternity care that supports and celebrates your growing family, whether this is your first or fourth child.
You can pre-register online for delivery and schedule a tour of our birth center.
Family-centered maternity care
At StoneSprings Hospital, we offer safe, skillful care in a welcoming environment. Families choose us because:
- Teamwork matters. Our team of obstetricians, gynecologists, anesthesiologists, nurse practitioners and certified nurse midwives work together to ensure your delivery goes smoothly.
- Comfort, luxury and the latest technology in Loudoun County. We make your labor and delivery experience comfortable and safe and with our furnished suites.
- We support your preferences. We help you plan a comfortable, joyful delivery based on your needs. We also welcome and support private doula care.
- You and your baby are safe here. We offer enhanced security measures for mom and baby. If unexpected complications occur, our telemedicine program connects us to top neonatal experts at our sister facility, Reston Hospital Center, who can evaluate newborns in real-time, anytime. If your baby requires advanced support, we will arrange safe transport to Reston Hospital Center’s Level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
- Continuous care for your whole family. StoneSprings Hospital provides care for your entire family, including pediatric emergency care, specialty care and women’s health services .
Hospital tours and maternity classes
We offer expectant parents the opportunity to view our birth center before labor and delivery. Tours of our birth center help ease anxieties as they allows parents to become familiar with their surroundings before the added stress of labor and delivery.
Schedule a tour of our birth center.
Additionally, we help expectant mothers and fathers prepare for life with their new babies. We offer a range of childbirth preparation courses that answers questions about childbirth, caring for your infant, breastfeeding and more.
Visit our calendar to register for a prenatal class.
Comprehensive prenatal care
Before your baby enters the world, we help you stay healthy, prepare for birth and care for yourself and your newborn with confidence. Our prenatal care providers monitor the health of you and your baby to ensure a healthy, safe pregnancy. We are here with comprehensive prenatal care to answer all of your pregnancy, labor, delivery and postpartum questions.
We want your birth experience to be what you want. We work with you to personalize your birth experience, so you can bring your baby into the world the way you want.
We offer midwifery specialty care for women desiring a low-intervention birth in Dulles. Our certified nurse midwives offer natural birth services including access to natural pain management options, such as hydrotherapy and aromatherapy. Our midwives encourage postpartum rooming-in and provide lactation support.
Customized labor and delivery experience
Our birth center was designed to enhance your comfort and minimize disruptions during labor. We offer:
- A spacious, comfortable labor experience. Our maternity suites offer tubs for hydrotherapy, aromatherapy and private bathrooms.
- Welcoming, family-friendly setting. We provide comfortable waiting areas for your friends and family and overnight sleeping accommodations for your partner.
- Medical team ready for anything. Our team is available for you 24/7. We have the latest obstetric technology and resources, including an anesthesiologist and dedicated operating rooms nearby for unplanned or emergency C-sections.
Following your child’s birth, we provide support and encouragement as you begin your physical recovery. Our family-focused care includes:
- One-on-one time with your baby. We practice couplet care, or rooming in, so you and your partner are able to get to know your baby in a private setting. This means that your baby will remain in the room with you at all times, even during most examinations. We offer daily “serenity hours” from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., so you and your baby have time to rest without any interruptions.
- 24/7 breastfeeding support. Breastfeeding is a learned skill for both mom and baby. All of our maternity nurses are trained in providing breastfeeding support immediately after birth and throughout your time at the hospital.
- Gourmet meal. At StoneSprings Hospital we want to make your child’s birth a memorable experience. We provide a made-to-order celebratory meal to honor your baby’s birth. We even have a unique Mommy Menu which is designed to give your body the extra nutrition and support it needs to heal and/or breastfeed.
- Ongoing support and counseling. It is natural to feel overwhelmed by the challenges of motherhood, but you do not have to face them alone. We offer screening for postpartum depression and therapy services through our nearby sister facility, Dominion Hospital. If you need support now, call First Call at (703) 538-2872.
StoneSprings Hospital’s lactation services provide education, support and counseling to mothers before their child’s birth and throughout their breastfeeding journey. Our lactation consultants are certified by the International Board of Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC), and all of our maternity nurses are trained in lactation support. Our lactation services include:
- Access to lactation services seven days a week
- Prenatal breastfeeding course
- Bedside consultation for new moms from a lactation consultant
- Ongoing support through telephone consultations and follow-ups
Research shows that mothers who are supported in their breastfeeding efforts are more likely to breastfeed longer and experience a greater feeling of success. Some studies indicate that children who are breastfed stay healthier throughout their lives.
While StoneSprings Hospital and staff are committed to helping new mothers breastfeed, we understand that breastfeeding may not be an option or is not possible for every mom. Our lactation consultants can provide advice on healthy bottle feeding, proper formula preparation and other helpful facts about feeding your newborn.
Frequently asked questions
Where do we park?
There are specially marked parking spaces for expectant mothers and their families located right outside the main entrance of our hospital.
What are the visiting hours for family members and guests?
Visiting hours are open 24/7, but visitation is ultimately at the mother's discretion. A support person of your choice is welcome to stay overnight. Our maternity staff encourages you to have friends and family visit. We recommend that you baby's siblings only visit if they are healthy. Individuals with colds or other illness are strongly discouraged from visiting during your stay.
What do I do when I am in labor?
When you think you are in labor or your water breaks, call your obstetrician immediately. Your obstetrician will notify the staff at StoneSprings Hospital to prepare for your arrival.
Upon your arrival, you may use the main hospital entrance Monday through Friday from 6am to 8pm or the emergency room entrance outside of those hours. Our labor and delivery department is on the second floor of the hospital. Our staff will greet and escort you to a suite where we will assess your labor status.
Will I get a birth certificate at the hospital?
Following the birth of your child, our staff will provide you with a birth certificate worksheet to fill out. Once the worksheet is completed and electronically filed with the Commonwealth of Virginia, a printout will be generated for you to review and sign. This printout is sent to the Vital Records Office in Richmond, and you can obtain an official copy of the birth certificate by submitting an application and a check to the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The birth certificate worksheet also gives you the option to request a social security number. If you choose this option, a social security card for your child will be mailed directly to your home in approximately eight weeks.