Signs of addiction
Putting up a good front but feeling like your life is in turmoil? Help is nearby at our sister facility, Dominion Hospital.
Check for these signs of addiction or chemical dependency. If you, a loved one or friend is exhibiting any of the symptoms listed below, you may need to find professional help. Discuss the situation with your doctor right away.
Possible signs & symptoms of addiction may include:
- Trouble at work, in school or at home due to drinking or drug use
- Consistently drinking or using drugs more than you intend
- Experiencing "blackouts" — Loss of memory while drinking or using drugs
- Arguing with family or friends because of alcohol or drug use
- Increased tolerance — Needing more of the substance for the same effect
- Drinking or using drugs alone
- Drinking or using drugs to cope with a problem
- Feeling depressed after becoming sober
- Feeling guilty about drinking or drug use
Learn more about addiction and related conditions at our online Health Library.
When you need help NOW — take the first step
In crisis? For immediate evaluation and 24-hour access call First Step at (703) 538-2872 for a confidential telephone interview with a counselor at Dominion Hospital who’s knowledgeable about mental health disorders and treatment options.
Find out more about emotional, behavioral and mental health care services available through Dominion Hospital.