Finding the right primary care provider is essential to ensure the best possible healthcare for you and your family. StoneSprings Hospital Center works hand–in–hand with a range of primary care providers to meet the needs of patients, from pediatric to geriatric. Our partnership with primary care and specialized physicians provides you and your family expert care with a personal touch.
Primary care doctors are either medical doctors (MDs) or doctors of osteopathic medicine (DOs). Both are well-trained in human anatomy, specializing in internal medicine, family practice or pediatrics. They are licensed to diagnose, treat, advise and prescribe for any medical disease or condition. Osteopathic physicians have up to 500 additional hours in studying hands-on medicine and the body's musculoskeletal system.
Types of primary care physicians
Primary care providers offer different services and areas of specialization. Your specific medical needs and stage of life will help you choose where to begin.
Types of primary care providers include:
- Pediatricians – Physicians dedicated to treating newborns, infants, children and adolescents up to age 18
- Internists – Doctors treating adults, including seniors
- Family Practice – Providers who treat patients of all ages, from babies to seniors; family practice providers can treat your entire family
- Obstetricians/gynecologists (OB/GYNs) – Physicians who treat women of all ages, especially those of childbearing age
- Gerontologists – Doctors caring for seniors' medical needs
What to consider before choosing a primary care physician
Before you choose your primary care physician, ask yourself:
- Is it easy to reach the provider? Is the staff friendly?
- Are the office hours and location convenient for me?
- Do they accept my insurance?
- Does this physician concentrate on my needs, or refer me to specialists for more focused care?
- Does this provider encourage me to participate in my care?
Learn more about choosing a primary care provider at our online Health Library.
Need help finding the right doctor?
Call our Consult-A-Nurse® team 24/7 at (855) 226-7344 to find a provider, make an appointment and learn more about primary care at StoneSprings Hospital Center.